Saturday, February 19, 2011

Boston Bound (in 3 months)

As you all know from my first blog, I love to travel.  Unfortunately, life has not allowed me to do that as much as I would like in recent years.  The last time I went anywhere was in May 2009 to Florida, when Zak proposed.  It was a wonderful trip, but we stayed with his uncle, so it wasn't quite a full vacation.

This year I made it one of my new year's resolutions to have a holiday.  Not just staying with family members, but a full-on sleep in hotels, do what we want on our time, holiday.  In addition to Florida, Zak and I have only been on holiday one other time:  2008 when he met me in Holland (for a day) and then we had 3 weeks in England for him to see my home and meet the relatives.  It was an incredible time, but like Florida, staying with relatives starts to wear on you after a while!

Well as of Tuesday, I am officially set to fulfill one of my resolutions (unlike the others such as drink less wine, not be so sarcastic and judgemental, etc).  In May, Zak and I will have 5 days in New England.  We're flying into Boston and are going to spend our time seeing as much as possible of the region, while also getting to spend a weekend with his brother who's in Submarine School for the Navy.  Both Zak and I are history buffs and so the opportunity to go to this part of the U.S. is really exciting for us.  Also, I've worked out that yet again I won't be able to make it back to England this year and after some research, Boston seems to have a very English look and weather to it. 

We have booked our tickets and told Zak's brother (which made his day), and are looking forward to the next steps:  renting a car and finding hotels.  I can't wait to have the Atlantic sea air in my face, cobble-stone streets beneath my feet, May temperatures in the 50s, and drunk and angry Irish-Americans singing at a pub.  Ahhhhhh, it's almost like being back at home.  :)

1 comment: