Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Things always happen in 3s

The last week has been tough.  I know life's always meant to throw these curveballs at you, but the last week felt like I was trapped in a batting cage with the pitching machine cranking out fast balls and me without a helmet and a bat.  (That's my American-ism for the day) 

I was brought up with the notion of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and the concept that you just had to take the bad things in your stride.  But when it's one thing after another, you do start to wonder...."when is this going to stop?"  I believe that all things come in sets of three.  Well believe me, I had my three last week.  And they were all totally out of character for me.  First, I dropped the ball at work.  I knew it was meant to happen at some point, but the way it all came about made me feel sick and left thinking that my reprimand wasn't entirely professional.  Then later that evening, as I dropped a 17-inch widescreen laptop on my toe, splitting the nail in half, and creating lots of blood and bruising.  I'm not a clumsy person and I'm not prone to injurying myself.  I took it as a sign that I was just exhausted after the bad day at work and opted for vodka on the rocks over Ibuprofen. 

The third bad thing was a bit of a shock.  It was two days later over the weekend.  The day before had been Zak's birthday and we had a great time going out, and then that day we'd had a very successful barbeque.  I was in the kitchen doing dishes from the party and had just poured myself a glass of wine to go in the living room and finally put my feet up.  What I didn't know was that the universe had other plans.  For some reason I had no idea that our 65 pound dog, Sheila, had laid down right beside my feet.  I turned full force ready to start walking and went flying.  I came crashing down on the tile floor, with my knee taking most of the shock.  My head also hit the floor (no concussion, but minor whip lash) and the crystal glass shattered, slitting my finger open.  I've never fallen like that before in my life, not even as a kid.  So now I'm still hobbling around with a knee twice the size of the other.

So I've had my three bad things.  Time for the cosmos to send something good my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment