Thursday, January 26, 2012

Like A Kid Who Snorted A Pixie Stick

Hurrah!  BIG day!  BIG news!  I've done it!  I've closed my first sale!  I started my job 7 months ago and have been training up to this moment, learning about the industry I'm in, gaining technical knowledge, creating presentations, and now the title on my business card actually means something.

The sale was closed within my first ten minutes in the office today and as a result, the rest of the day's been a whirlwind.  This isn't just my first sale in my current position, this is my first sale ever (apart from 2 years working in retail while in college).  It's shown me that I am capable and professional, and I feel genuinely appreciated by my colleagues.  My boss (semi-jokingly) dubbed me "star of the day" and (seriously) told that I handled the client and sale very well, and I even got a congratulatory email from the CEO in Oslo.  I know I work for a small company so there aren't as many steps between me and the CEO, but I'm going to let myself feel proud of that email.

It's amazing what one achievement will do for your confidence.  I've had to stop myself from practically skipping on my way to the water cooler or colleagues offices.  Zak asked me how I felt after I told him and I blurted out "like a kid who's snorted a pixie stick!"  It was the only thing that came to mind that described how excited and buzzed I felt.  Suddenly I feel like I can achieve anything.  My mind is running a mile a minute of all the things I've been wanting to learn or get back into but haven't allowed myself the confidence to actually do it.  But now I don't feel that there's anything to hold me back.  So watch this space, big things are coming....

No comments:

Post a Comment