Monday, February 6, 2012

Tough Love

Criticism is a difficult thing for many people.  It can be hard to receive, and depending on who's on the receiving end of the criticism, it can be tough to give.

Spending the better part of my 26 years in art classes, photography courses, and even a degree in advertising, critiques have been a major part of my life.  Weekly critiques on paintings, photographs, and campaign ideas taught me to listen to other people's opinions, respect those opinions, and see what I could change or do differently next time.  The critiques weren't always easy to sit through.  One art teacher would very gently encourage me to be a bit bolder with my use of graphite pencils, one advertising professor used his Glaswegian flair by telling me an idea was "f*cking sh*te."  Charming.

So I've developed an appreciation of the critique.  Getting critiqued sits well with me.  Giving the critique doesn't.  Recently I've found myself at a particularly awkward crossroad.  I have to give someone that I'm close to, a very harsh critique.  One of my in-laws has driven Zak and myself to a state of hopelessness.  Their presence is overbearing, their attitude rude, and their manners non-existent.  Not every member of your family is going to be your favourite person, I know that.  You can choose your friends, not your family.  But after watching this person's behaviour become increasingly worse over the last few years, and a very stressful weekend with them, Zak and I have to say something.

It will be tasteful, we will let them know we're doing this out of love and not spite, but that doesn't make it any easier.  This critique will be tough, for both parties.  I just hope that in time it will produce a positive result.

No comments:

Post a Comment